Tuesday, August 22, 2006

my dream kitchen

- will have gleaming copper pots and pans
- a blackboard instead of a wall on one side where i can jot down reminders, grocery lists, the menu for the day, recipes and what-not; a blood-red Kitchen-Aid, lime green coffee maker and hot pink toaster (this for my modern/edgy/retro informal kitchen)
- subzero, miele appliances (for my show kitchen)
- 2 built-in ovens (i've been deprived for so long i will bake all day once i get my hands on a gleaming oven)
- a wood-fired oven for my home-baked pizzas (yes, this kitchen will be HUGE)
- a built-in fryer and grill
- refrigerators and freezers that blend in with the cupboards (haven't decided whether i prefer a dark blue and white ultra modern finish or a maple/cherry wood finish.
- a sink large enough to bathe 2 babies
- wine storage
- a pantry at least 1/3 the size of the kitchen
- a center island with a wooden bench on one side for long chats with friends while sipping wine and preparing food
- a china cabinet for all the beautiful stone and ash dinnerware and holloware I plan to buy
- a drawer for my silverware
- a cabinet for displayng my crystal glassware
- a small nook where my computer, recipe files and tons of cookbooks and food magazines will rest
- lots and lots of countertops!!!!!!
- a salamander if possible, and if not, a handheld torch will do (for browning and top-grilling)
- a split-type aircon
- a marble countertop for chocolate making
- all the knickknacks and bric-a-bracks that make a kitchen so wonderfully pleasant like spice and herb racks, salt and pepper grinders, cool sponge and dishwashing liquid containers, an ultra-modern bacteria fighting rubbish bin
- proper lighting and flooring

Currently my pantry looks like this:

It's semi-organized, I know. The bottles on one side, cans in the middle, breakfast items together etc.. but IT"S TOO DAMN SMALL! Which is why some non-food items share space with food. :(

My essentials: extra virgin olive oil for salads, and sauteeing, peanut oil for frying, an herb/spice rack with paprika, cayenne pepper, chili powder, oregano, basil and rosemary. All my other herbs (cinammon, whole peppercorns, thyme, tarragon, garlic powder, ground coriander, cumin and many more) are in the cabinet.

A sneak peek into my tiny kitchen reveals how obssesive-compulsive I am, eh?

No comments: